On Saturday, one of our oldest friends from college was going to take his solemn vows. It was a profession of vows into the Order of Friars Minor. In other words, he's an actual Franciscan Friar! After college, he went to work for the DA's office out in L.A. After several years I think, he became dissatisfied with what he was doing and decided to dedicate his life to God. We were floored when he told us what he was going to do. Personally, I didn't think he would last. He's always been such a joker and set in certain ways of comfort. The road was a bit bumpy now and then, but he went on to get his master's in religion at UC Berkeley. And now he has taken the final step to take his solemn vows (of poverty, chastity and obedience). They still wear the simple brown habits with the white rope around their middle. Now he gets a rope with the three knots tied in them to represent his vows.
So we attended Mass at the Saint Francis of Assisi Church on Saturday out in Los Angeles. Marian watched our girls for us. I've been to Mass once before in college but on a smaller scale so I knew a little of what to expect. The whole thing seemed a lot less formal than I expected though and a lot less um, well, solemn! There was a lot of clapping and laughing (at some inappropriate time, I thought). The music was not solemn either. I guess you can call it more invigorating and uplifting in a way.
We were very happy for our friend and happy to be able to go and support him in his decision to serve God though.
In contrast, on Sunday, after church, we went to the Mt. Rubidoux ward to witness our friend's son, Brandon get the Priesthood. He just turned 12. There was no big ceremony. We were just in a little room with the other boys his age, his parents and some church leaders. And although a few of the other boys were also, um, less than reverent, I'll tell you, the spirit was so strong in that little room.
It certainly gives one a renewed perspective. I am so grateful for the church and the restored gospel.
No comments:
Post a Comment