Wednesday, August 26, 2009

First Day of School

The girls started school on Monday. So we started a new schedule for us. We get up earlier in the morning now since Caitlyn's preschool starts at 7:45. And we go to bed earlier. The girls' bedtime is now 8:30. A normal time for kids finally. She had afternoon kindergarten last year so we stuck to our late schedule and they didn't go to bed until 9:30 or 10:pm. We still got Emily to nap several times a week so it worked. Now she doesn't nap at all and has all day school, since she started 1st grade this year.

Here is Caitlyn on her first day of school.

She did so good. She was excited to start preschool. I thought she would change her mind by the time it was time to leave her. I was bracing myself for her eyes to get all glassy and teary eyed. When she used to get super upset or afraid, she starts tearing up and stuffs her little fingers in her mouth like a little bulgy bear. But nope, mom was the one reluctant to leave and Caitlyn just smiled and waved her hand. She settled right in, did her puzzle and started in on reading some books while the teacher, other parents and kids were trying to get settled. We were so proud of her.

At last, we pulled ourselves away. We went home and fed Emily a quick breakfast and then walked her down to the end of our block to wait for the bus. Here is Emily on her first day of school.

She was pretty excited. She wasn't afraid to ride the bus on her own to school. And I have to say, I am really loving not having to drive her back and forth through all the school traffic. I was dreading having to drive back and forth 4 times a day but this has worked out fine.

Well, except for today, she almost missed her bus!

After I pick up Caitlyn from school, we have time to either run errands or come home to play for a while. Then she takes a nap, gets up, has a snack (since she has lunch so early before leaving school), plays for a little more, then we go down to the corner to wait for Emily's bus to bring her back.

I think this will work well once we really get into the groove of things!

1 comment:

Seth and Cindy Teague said...

First day of school, how fun! The girls look so cute. I'm glad Caitlyn did so well!