Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Emily's 9th Birthday party

This past Saturday was Emily's birthday party. We usually just have her grandparents over and her Auntie Marian since we can't handle any more people than that here in our little house. We tried to get a big house with a formal dining area but it was not meant to be. So even with this little group, we have to move a few things around to accommodate the extra guests. But it doesn't matter, Emily is always so excited for her grandparents to come see her.
I can't believe Emily is turning 9. It seemed like only a couple of years ago that I quit my professional job  of 8 years to become a stay at home mom. I can tell you that this job is definitely harder in a lot of ways...and seemingly less gratifying. Yes, you read that right. I will not feel that all the sacrifices, stress, frustration and heart ache was worthwhile until my girls are truly grown up and are out in the world making good decisions for themselves. That will be the most gratifying day of all. But I doubt that it will ever be that clear. You don't just wake up one day and say, "we did good." But hope springs eternal...
Emily got a couple of funny "trick" presents from Auntie Marian. She knows what trouble Emily has had with sugar lately. So she emptied a oreo cookie container and put a bunch of toothpaste, floss and toothbrushes and stuff in it. But Emily still appreciates it and had a lot of fun with it.
While we were still eating, a package arrived in the mail from her grandma in Hawaii. It was such perfect timing! Her biggest present this year though, was a digital camera from my mom. My mom won a new digital camera from some raffle and decided to give Emily her old one. It is really nice too. I kind of think my mom should have given her the new one and kept the old one personally. The new one she got is one of those fancy touch screen camera's. I tried it out and cannot navigate it. It is a pain in the butt. I'll take the old buttons any day.

No comments: