Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Thanksgiving

We usually go to my family's house for Thanksgiving. We've gone down to Christian's family's house a few times but the drive is murder and I'm rather partial to my family's food. We have the traditional turkey and ham but instead of the traditional bread stuffing (which nobody in my family cares for except for my brother-in-law), we have sticky rice!
Thanksgiving isn't Thanksgiving without some sticky rice. Unfortunately, in our old age, it isn't easy to stuff ourselves on Thanksgiving like when we were young (and we certainly pay for it later if we do). It kind of takes some of the fun out of Thanksgiving.

I made pies as per my usual and a side dish. Caitlyn helped me in preparing the pumpkin for the pumpkin pie...which was great because most of the work is in cleaning out the pumpkins.
We actually had a Thanksgiving luncheon since my sister still had Thanksgiving dinner to attend to later that evening with her in-laws. So after lunch, we just hung out to let the food digest. The rest of my family plans out their black Friday strategies. I make it a rule not to go out if I can help it on black Friday. My goal is to be done with all my Christmas shopping by the time Thanksgiving roles around. I'm only 95% done, but I'm okay with that.
My brother moved into a bigger house this past year and offered to host the party at his house. After every else had left, we had a quick small dinner with some of the leftovers with my brother's family before heading home. It was nice getting together and it was nice not to have to cook another meal.

No comments: