Thursday, November 1, 2012

Halloween Night

I took the kids to our ward's trunk-or-treat after dinner. Emily stuck with her sorceress costume while Caitlyn went to plan C, which was the Betsy Ross costume she originally wanted to go to the Halloween party in over the weekend. The only house we stopped by to trick-or-treat was our immediate neighbor's house. Christian stayed home to hand out candy for the handful of kids that might find their way up our street.

There were cars that just handed out candy but there were also lots of them that were set up for carnival type games.
There were several fishing type games, ring toss, an electronic duck shooting game (Caitlyn did extraordinarily well at that one), pumpkin bowling, eating donuts on a string (no hands), tossing bean bags into buckets and other targets. I can't even remember them all.

True to the carnival nature of some of the games, the girls tossed ping pong balls into little cups of water with fish and won some little feeder fishes. Lots of the parents didn't know what to do with them though and they tried to give them away or return them.

Emily and Caitlyn wasn't sure what to do with them either but wanted to keep them. Luckily, we still had an old tank in the garage that I dusted off for their new home.  We'll see if they live or not.

The mean mom that I am, I only let them go to each car once instead of letting them make their rounds through the parking lot over and over like some of their friends until the candy ran out. There was plenty of candy already. There is no reason to get an insane amount. They came home and sorted through their loot to see what they got.
We only got a few more trick-or-treaters when we got home. So, still not a whole lot. We thought there might be more this year since some families moved in at the end of the block, but we got our usual handful and that was it. The girls got to pick one candy each to have that night (plus Christian and I demanded a tribute from each of the girls...which we really didn't need to eat, but it was Halloween, what's a person to do?)

After the girls went to bed, Christian and I donned our Halloween costumes and took a few snapshots for posterity.

I found these Venetian masks at Target and put together some clothing for a masquerade. I actually sewed Christian's cape. I'm not that great at sewing but I figured a costume might be the way to go to practice since it doesn't really need to be perfect and it's worn in the dark anyway. A hooded black cape is versatile and can be used for any number of costumes in the future anyway.

The great thing about these outfits is that masks are not really allowed at most of the functions we go to and so we just wore them on our heads. We were just wearing normal clothes for the most part but we could still say that we are dressed up!

No comments: