Tuesday, July 17, 2012

HOT

The summer heat has finally set in. This week...wait, last week...we pulled the pool out of storage and set it up for the kids. It's getting hard to keep track of time. It's all a blur. We got some over cast days but it was still hot for the most part. In fact, we got some flash flood type weather one night. It would have been pretty awesome if it was not for the warm temperatures. It could have been worse.
I didn't really plant a summer garden this year (for which I do regret), but we did get our apples in. They are coming along nicely. It is the only fruit trees that are not constantly molested by varmints so we actually get some fruit. However, when we start to overflow with fruit, we get excited about having enough for apple pie...and when it is over 100 degrees out, you don't feel much like cranking up the oven and making pie. I wish we had them in the winter!

I've experimented with apple cakes and apple muffins, but they only use a couple of apples to make. The only thing that uses up a whole bowl full of apples in a hurry is apple pie. I considered making applesauce but it's not quite as fun to eat as, well, pie!

No comments: