Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Snow Day

Monday morning we got a call from Christian's sister saying that they were on their way up from San Diego to go up to the mountains to play in the snow and they wanted us to join them. We didn't have our phone on that morning and by the time we got the message, we figured that they were already on their way. We couldn't get a hold of them but thought that we should throw some stuff together and join them. The girls were excited to play in the snow with their cousins. But they never called back and they didn't show up here so we guess they headed up without us when they couldn't get a hold of us.

The girls would have been too disappointed to not go up to the snow after we had gotten ready for it so we decided to take them up anyway and hoped that maybe they would call back and we could meet up there later.

We never did hear back from them and don't really know what happened but the girls had a blast. It was not too cold, especially once you got moving. Here is a picture of them sledding.
Here is one of Caitlyn attempting to make a snow angel.

They also had a little snowball fight with dad. But although I remembered to bring my camera, I did forget to bring my extra battery. My battery started getting low part way through the sledding pictures so I only took a few here and there hoping not to run out.

They also made their first snowman.
That really was Caitlyn pushing that huge snowball all by herself. She put her big sister to shame. Not one to be bested by her little four year old sister, she put a little more effort into hers and it got about as big as her sisters'...although, personally, I still think it was a little smaller.

We ended the day with a bit of hot cocoa.We did a little off-roading to get to a nice secluded place for the family to play and the girls got to take turns "driving" the truck.
Now, I have to say that after the initial excitement of getting my new DSLR, I have been increasingly disappointed with some of my pictures. I know that some of them were just due to my own faults (not focusing on the right subject, forgetting to reset some of the functions, etc.) But still, the pictures have been less than I would have hoped. So when presented with the opportunity to go up to the mountains to take pictures, I finally got a chance to try one my other lenses. I had not been using it and have not really bothered to take all my lenses with me when taking pictures. The one that came with the camera was a nice versatile lens and I didn't see the sense in dragging all my equipment along with me to take a few random shot now and then. But boy, was I happy I changed lenses because I see a dramatic difference in the quality of my pictures. I don't know if you can tell in these little web pictures but trust me, they are so much better. I need to do some more tests to be sure of the cause (especially since my camera was too low in battery to take too many) but right now, I think that the lens that comes with the cameras are crap.

2 comments:

Seth and Cindy Teague said...

Great snowman girls!

Anonymous said...

Looks like fun where did you guys go? We need to take Sariah up.