Friday, October 31, 2008

Date Night

No, not for me and Christian but for Emily and her Daddy. Last night, the Riverside Children's Theater was putting on The Jungle Book at UCR and Christian and I decided to go see Kristina Jorgenson playing the mother wolf while the girls stayed back to play with Sophie. It sounded like a good idea anyway (any idea to get away from the kids for a little while IS usually a good idea).

So, arrangements were made, a quick dinner prepared. Caitlyn took a nap. I cleaned myself up and put on some clean clothes. The girls sat down for dinner but as Caitlyn approached her seat, she gripped her stomach and said that she didn't feel good (which was weird since she was just as right as rain before that). Then she quickly put her hand to her mouth and I grabbed for a bowl and half her lunch came back out (incidentally, she chews her spaghetti a LOT better than her sister...but that's another story). Her whole body was shaking from the sickness or from the effort of trying NOT to lose her lunch. But soon she was done. I had her lay down while I talked to her dad at work to make new plans. Anyway, the long and the short of it is that Emily got to go in my place and I stayed home to nurse my sick baby who was already feeling pretty damned good by the time Christian came back to pick up Emily.

We had actually considered taking the girls to the play originally but had decided that Caitlyn was still too young. Plus the previous play we had attended at Ramona High, the sound was so bad during parts of it, that we had a hard time ourselves trying to keep up with the story. So we decided that the kids could wait and we would investigate to make sure that the production value was better at the new venue (Plus Kristi volunteered Todd to watch the girls and who am I to say "no" to that?).

Anyway, I tried to explain to Emily the best I could about what she was going to go to. Emily was positively beaming as dad came to pick her up, giving mom and sister hugs as she left. I don't know if she was more excited for the play or just for a night out with dad.


p.s. I stayed home and folded laundry and watched movies with Caitlyn all night. She ate her dinner shortly after Emily left and has not showed signs of any sickness since. What was up with that? ...the little stinker.

2 comments:

Jorgenson Journal said...

It was so fun to see Emily at the play. She couldn't stop bouncing around. I know our kids LOVE the attention they get when Todd or I take them on individual dates. Thanks for supporting Kristina--it means a lot to her and to us!! Thanks for being such great friends!

Raena Johnson said...

Seriously brought a tear to my eye. What a nice sacrifice that only a mother can understand - date with daddy or nurse sick child (aka catching vomit). I'm sure it happened that way for a reason. Emily got time with daddy and Caitlyn got her mommy when she needed her most.