Afterwards, we headed into the park to find our climbing route. The park was a bit crowded, so that kind of sucked. We had a bit of a problem identifying our route. It was a neat multi-pitch route, but a lot of people thought that the rating was kind of sand-bagged. Christian climbed up and around the whole area on his own and didn't think that it would be difficult at all. In the end, we decided to save it for another day as it was already into the afternoon at this point and we didn't know what exactly to expect.
We didn't want to try to fight for another parking spot with the tourists, so we just looked around the area we were already in to find something we can climb. In the end, we made our own route up the Dire Straits Rock. The kids called it "Kick-Ass Crack."
They rated it as somewhere between 5.4 and 5.5, but I thought it was harder, mostly because I was too short to use any of the holds everyone else did. I almost gave up. The crux is shortly after you get on the route so I didn't make it very far, but after several attempts at trying different things, I finally found something that I thought might work. I did still fall off of it on my first try, but it felt different; it felt possible. So, I tried that move again and finally made it up and was able to continue up on the route to the top.
Special thanks to Caitlyn for pictures of Christian and myself. She gets to play with Christian's climbing camera in exchange for letting me steal some of her pictures, so it is a win-win!




No comments:
Post a Comment