Sunday, November 27, 2016

Thanksgiving and other matters

Since we came back a day early from Yosemite, we should have been well rested and had plenty of time to work on cooking before heading over to my family's house.

Instead, Christian and I found ourselves back in the emergency room at about 3:am Thurday morning. Christian had intense abdominal pains. It was a little over a month ago that we were there for a kidney stone. We were starting to wonder if they diagnosed him correctly, since we never was able to recover an actual stone.

After an examination, blood tests and an EKG, he got some pain medication and we were sent on our way. They did not know the cause of his pain, but ruled out something more dire. He got some PEPCID for possible gastritis and a referral for an ultrasound as it was too early to get one still at the time.

Christian's pain was at a more manageable level, but was still having a hard time of it, especially if he attempted to eat.

He got some rest on and off after we got home while I worked on our Thanksgiving contributions. We were wondering if he should actually stay home, but in the end, he decided to go and hope for the best.
There was a ton of food, but unfortunately, Christian was not able to do more than sample a dish or two. It was torture for him, since he still had an appetite. He just was unable to eat without suffering greatly for it.

I had planned to go on a trip with my sister and mom to Lake Tahoe shortly after Thanksgiving. The timing could not be worse. I was afraid to leave, not knowing what was wrong with Christian and not being available to take him back to the doctor, if needed. In the end, he insisted that I should still go. I spent the better part of the next couple of days stocking little things for the house to be sure they had food (since we had been gone for our camping trip) and packing.

No comments: