Monday, July 7, 2014

Fourth of July

For Fourth of July, we decided to check out a climbing area in Perris that we had heard about. The climbing area is called Big Rock and overlooks Lake Perris. The entrance to the lake seemed to have a line of cars a mile long waiting to get in. We were not sure what to expect there. Luckily, we did not have to enter by the main entrance but through another entrance in the back.
There was a bit of a walk to get to the base of the rock. I think next time, since it is mostly a paved trail, we will bring our bikes. 

Our climb was another "Trough." A 5.5 friction climb up a steep slab. It was two pitches long (180 feet).
The rock was pretty slick down the trough. Christian and I climbed it first and then Emily came up. Caitlyn decided to only climb the first pitch but that is really the hardest part of the climb. The second pitch was a bit easier. We did not push her though as she has made great progress in her climbing.

Christian climbed a harder route that was just left of The Trough called Crater Maker but nobody else wanted to try that one.

We had the whole area to ourselves as everyone else was in and around the lake. It was pretty stinkin' hot out so no other climbers ventured out to climb in this area. There was a nice tree and picnic table at the bottom of our climb so we did not suffer too much.
Christian, Emily and I also climbed a route called "Puppy Dog" which was pretty fun. Unfortunately, I had turned my ankle at the bottom of the route when we were looking for it. I still climbed the route but lowering down and the walk back to the car was a bit of a challenge. Christian ended up walking ahead and bringing the car back for us at some point.

We went home to cool off and get some rest. I made some treats as we were planning to go to a Fourth of July party at a friend's house that evening. We had dinner and the kids played before the fireworks show. I did not bring my big camera and the small one I normally take climbing was not able to capture the fireworks. We watched the fireworks from their front yard that has a nice view of Mt. Roubidoux. It looked like there were two small fires near the top this year but they just forged ahead with the show and put it out afterwards. 

No comments: