The first dance was supposed to be "Little Brown Gal." When they got out there, they played a totally different version of the song. The girls did really good improvising. The beat was a lot faster than they practiced. They did really great up until the lyrics changed to Hawaiian when it was supposed to repeat the chorus and everything kind of fell apart. The girls froze and their teacher covered and rushed them off without them actually finishing their dance.
Their other number was a Tahitian Otea which they had performed before. They did great in that but I could not hardly record any of it as one of the other girls' zealous relatives would not get out of any of my shots. Have I ever ranted about my utter hatred of smart phone wielding parents? It has such a wide lens on those devices that they have to get right up to their subjects face in order to get a shot. The users are utterly oblivious (and/or selfish) and no one else is able to get a shot of their kids unless they walk up to shove their phone in front of their own kids faces, leaving no room for any one else to get a shot of their kids or group photo without the backs of these smart phone wielding idiots backs. And they won't just get their shot and move on, they sit there like no one else exists except themselves and their own kid. I have had more than my share of run ins with these parents between the award ceremonies at school and this dance performance.
The other performances by the other girls went off better as the parent in question did not have a kid in those age ranges.
I was supposed to take a group shot of all of our dancers in the end but the dressing area was dark and crowded with so many other performers coming in and out, plus the fact that I was a bit flustered by the aforementioned situation that I just put my camera on automatic and shot away without thinking. The depth of field was too shallow and the shutter speed too slow so they didn't quite turn out as good as I had hoped.





No comments:
Post a Comment