Thursday, May 15, 2014

Mother's Day Weekend

Since Christian's mom is all the way out in Hawaii, we usually spend Mother's Day with my mom. We took her on a picnic to the San Dimas Canyon Regional Park. We've been making it our new tradition to go out to do something for the past few years now. The crowds and figuring out what picnic foods everyone would enjoy has been the most difficult part.

It was a beautiful day with nice mild weather. There were people out celebrating as well, but there were no mobs. Parking was plentiful (and free).

We enjoyed a nice lunch and all the kids got to get together and play.
After we cleaned up our picnic, we went on a short hike on a loop above the park.
We ended up at the nature center so that the kids can see the small exhibits there.
We had been to this park once before, but it was a much more pleasant experience since the park was amazingly clean this time. Even the bathrooms were clean and fresh smelling. The only downside was that there was not a caretaker at the nature center that gave us a nice presentation like last time. They usually only have it at a certain time each weekend, but since he had finished feeding the animals and we were all there, he thought that the kids would enjoy hearing and seeing some of their animal exhibits up close and personal. It was really nice and thoughtful.

After leaving the nature center, we let the kids run wild for a while on the playground. 
Before everyone broke away for the day, we hurriedly got together to take a group photo.
It came out amazingly good considering how many kids were there and the chances of someone blinking, grimacing or whatever.
-------
On Sunday, we went to church as usual. I was not feeling very well. I felt something coming on the day before but nothing concrete. By the time church was over, I felt pretty wiped out. Luckily, Christian did all the cooking on Mother's Day with the help of the girls so I got some homemade english muffins for breakfast (before he had to rush off to bishopric meetings). When we got home, I went in to rest and take a nap while everyone worked on dinner. By the time dinner came around, I knew I was seriously sick and had a mild fever to boot. I slept on and off for the rest of the day and evening and have been sick all week trying to fight it. I think I have finally made the turn and am finally improving.

No comments: