So for our weekend, on our own, I wanted to do something fun but since it wasn't technically her reward, we couldn't really go all out. Our weekend was less glamorous being at home anyway as we still needed to do laundry, cook, wash dishes and water outside. But we got our chores done and Caitlyn was a great help in doing them.
As a matter of fact, Caitlyn helped collect apples which we were starting to drown in. She helped me peel at least half of them to make applesauce before the apples went bad.
We did two big baskets full of apples and they cooked down to about half. We just stuck them in a slow cooker and took off to have some fun.
We stopped by Barnes & Nobles to get Caitlyn's free book for their summer reading program. I decided to just take Caitlyn for now since Emily isn't really even close to finishing her books yet. I was afraid that if I waited too long, we might not get the choice of books that we wanted. Apparently, Barnes & Nobles stocks their free books a lot better than Borders ever did because we had a hard time finding a book they wanted at Borders when they were still around.
Then we went to catch a matinee at the cheapy movie theater. It used to be the dollar theater, but you know, inflation and all....
We went to see the Croods. I wasn't really sure what the movie was like but as the parental reviews didn't have anything really bad to say about it, we went to give it a try. I was a little worried going into the movie about where they were going with it but it ended up to be a pretty good little family flick. She probably did not get all of the jokes but Caitlyn thought that it was still pretty hilarious. As with a lot of the new cartoon movies these days, a lot of the jokes are geared more to the adults than to their initial target audiences...namely, the children. And you usually end up preferring that the kids didn't really get those jokes!
After the movie, I thought I would take her out to dinner. We went to the California Pizza Kitchen. It was simple enough plus I had a balance on a gift card that I got a couple of years ago! We got a ice cream sundae for dessert. I couldn't take any pictures though as my camera battery ran out on me.
Of course, we didn't end up doing too much the second day because it was Sunday. I had to teach in Primary and even Caitlyn had a job...she was assigned to do the opening prayer in Primary. After church, I had a brief meeting about the Primary Activity coming up. We had our leftover pizzas from CPK for lunch after church and we played a game together and I had to help Caitlyn fix her summer crochet project because she got a little off on her pattern. Both the girls are attempting to crochet a bag which might have been a little ambitious at this point, but both the girls picked out a design that they wanted to try. I didn't sleep well the previous night so I was exhausted and had to take a brief nap to get me through the day. After that, we made one of Caitlyn's new favorite meals...BLT's with homemade onion rings.
On the last day, we were back to doing a few chores. Caitlyn wasn't quite as enthusiastic as she was on Saturday, so it took us longer to get through the things we both needed to do. We did manage to go take a walk after dinner. The kids love to go up to the "swing tree" and Caitlyn wanted to collect rocks for her rock collection. She found a really nice owl feather to boot and we watched the sun set on another day.
Christian and Emily were on their way home but they did not make it back until well after Caitlyn went to bed.



No comments:
Post a Comment