Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Awards

The end of the 2nd trimester was on Friday, so we got the girls' report cards. This week they had the award ceremonies for those who earned awards.

Emily had hers on Monday afternoon. She got honor roll, perfect attendance and citizenship again. She is actually 2 areas away from getting high honors! They have been doing a lot of creative writing lately and Emily just doesn't like it. She doesn't like to write and she won't put very much effort into it. She still has some trouble with exercising her imagination (although, she is a lot better than she used to be).
She also got some extra awards for getting advanced scores on her CSTs last year and also for STAR reading. They are really trying to get the school out of PI and since they made a 16 point gain last year, I think that they are really close, so whatever they can do to entice the kids to do better, they are definitely doing it.

Caitlyn had her award ceremony this morning. She got high honors and citizenship. She missed perfect attendance by that one fated Valentine's day.
The second graders have not taken the CST yet so they did not get the extra awards for that. They will be taking it later on this year.

The girls do well and get lots of awards every year and so it seems so easy for them, but it is a constant battle because they want to be lazy and they don't want to do their homework most of the time. It is exhausting trying to keep them on track. They seem to do well on their own while at school but by the time they get home, they are burnt out or something because they act like a bunch of lazy spoiled, undisciplined brats...which is weird because I am so much more strict with them than any one else. I have tried being really on top of them and making sure they get their work done. I have tried just leaving them alone and letting them take on the responsibility themselves. Most of the time it ends up to be almost the same...only sometimes if I leave them alone, they don't get hardly anything done at all.

If they finish, they can go outside to play, play video games, watch t.v./movies. If they don't get their work done, they get nothing. They seem fine with that most of the time. They rather just giggle like a bunch of potheads while rolling around in their own filth. I don't understand it and am at my wits end. I may actually look forward to summer this year...well, almost.

No comments: