Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Pumpkins

On Thursday before Halloween, I went to volunteer in Caitlyn's classroom. Since they had been learning about the growth cycle of pumpkins and were having a pumpkin patch for the kindergardeners this year in lieu of having a field trip (due to lack of funds, but suspiciously, the 2nd graders managed to go to Lego land earlier this month), the teacher decided to have a pumpkin carving demonstration so that they can feel the inside of the pumpkin. She was wielding this big carving knife and had some trouble cutting the pumpkin open. Since the other mothers were turning a bit white, I decided to take over and carve the pumpkin for her. I ended up having to carve two pumpkins. I don't think any of the other adults have done one themselves before!

The teacher had a raffle for the big pumpkin and Caitlyn won it and was able to take it home. (Somehow I wonder if the raffle was fixed). Anyway, she was thrilled to get it and when she went to the pumpkin patch the next day, she  went determined to find a nice pumpkin for her sister.

So not only did Emily get to go to Lego land this year, she also ended up with Caitlyn's pumpkin from the pumpkin patch.

Caitlyn has always been generous and patient with her sister but she always continues to delight and surprise us. What's more, since Caitlyn's class had such a huge party on Friday and she came home with nearly double the loot as Emily, she also decided to share a few of her trinkets and treats with her sister. I only hope that some of Caitlyn's selfless generosity will one day rub off on her big sister. I love the great example that Caitlyn is to us all.

No comments: