Monday, October 4, 2010

Behavior Charts

At the end of summer, I mentioned that the girls were driving us crazy...fighting, not cleaning up their toys, etc. When school started, things did not improve. I found myself nagging the kids over and over to get the simplest things done. It was miserable.

In each of the girls class rooms, they bribe the kids with trips to the "treasure chest" if they behave, pay attention and are not disruptive. What's in the treasure chest ranges from Halloween candy to party favors. Just cute little stuff. The girls were so excited to get to go to the treasure chest. Basically, I think they get point a day for behaving and you need 5 points to go to win your prize. Caitlyn ends up going almost every week.

Anyway, something had to change here at home so we decided to put together these behavioral charts. We reward them with points for good behaviors (i.e. making their beds, cleaning up their toys, clearing their dishes, etc) and they get negative points for bad behaviors (i.e. whining, leaving messes, lying, etc).

We filled their treasure chest with mostly dollar store type toys and craft items along with a few treats as well. We have been using this system for over a month now and I have to say, I am quite happy with the results. We started off slow and as they got the hang of it, the goal points for the end of the week went up little by little until we found a number we were comfortable with. A number that is not too difficult to attain as long as they were trying but if they reverted back to past behaviors, they would not make it. They have missed a couple of weeks here and there but overall they have been doing awesome and everyone is so much happier!

2 comments:

The Jones Family said...

Great idea! Can't wait to see you at the Dean's party!

Robyn said...

Very cute idea and I'm glad it's working for you. Although your girls are so sweet I can't imagine them ever needing to be bribed.