Wednesday, September 23, 2009

My Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

Okay, it wasn't THAT bad but it felt like it for a while. Yesterday started out pretty well. We got the kids off to school without too much trouble. I went to yoga class. And then I went back to pick up Caitlyn from preschool.

She seemed her usual self when I picked her up but complained of some red stuff on her hands. She said she doesn't know where she got it from. I assured her that she can wash her hands when we got home. We got back and I ran to water the pumpkin as it was wilting under the heat. The hose wasn't quite long enough and the crappy plastic reel that the hose is coiled on tipped over and cut off a branch from our newly planted orange tree...along with one of three remaining oranges which was getting really nice and big. I was so upset.

Then I went in to check on Caitlyn and she was complaining that the red stuff wasn't coming off her hands even though she washed with soap and everything. I went to check her out and found she had some kind of rash all over her arms...and legs! I freaked out. I checked the lunch menu to see what they fed the kids and did not find anything unusual on there. I thought maybe she might have a mild case of chicken pox even though she's been vaccinated but she didn't have a fever and she didn't have any on her face. Plus they were not really blisters. Roseola seemed more possible but still no fever or anything. I thought maybe she had a heat rash but they didn't even let the kids out to the playground that day because of the heat. The rash was only mildly itchy so I put her in an oatmeal bath to make her feel better.

The house was covered in balloons and stuff from my birthday which had a really strong latex odor and I wondered if she was having an allergic reaction to them....not that she has ever had a problem with balloons before. But just in case, I gathered up all the balloons and had to dispose of them to be on the safe side.

And then while I was scouring the Internet on what might be affecting Caitlyn, the power went out throughout the house and I heard a bit of a boom in the distance like a car backfiring. It was getting a bit much and had to call Christian at work but the power returned within 5 minutes or so. I never did figure out what happened.

Luckily, that was all that went horribly wrong because I don't think I could have taken more if it was to continue. Caitlyn's rashes seemed less pronounced so I thought there was a chance she would even be better by morning. But when she went to bed she had a few more around her jaw line and cheeks.

I kept her home this morning. She still has the rash but it isn't any worse and she still has no other signs of sickness like fatigue or fever. Christian volunteered to stay with her this morning while my lovely visiting teachers took me out to breakfast for my birthday.

She spent the day doing puzzles...can you tell?

3 comments:

Seth and Cindy Teague said...

Has the rash gone away? I wonder what it is. Hope she gets better!

dnbwilkesfamily said...

She looks like she is doing well! I hope the rash goes away soon! It's always a guessing game when it comes to kids and sickness...I hope she is all better!

Caldwell said...

The rash was all but gone the next day and she returned to school. You had to look really carefully to even see any sign that there was anything there by then.

I still have no idea what it was.